jazzfish: Jazz Fish: beret, sunglasses, saxophone (Default)
[personal profile] jazzfish
Let's see. Counseling is still in intake/prep mode, though I'm optimistic that we'll get into some real stuff next week. My counselor is sufficiently New At This that she's still under supervision from a higher-up. As such she is dotting all Is and crossing all Ts. I do appreciate that we went for an extra hour (!) in the first session knocking out most of the generic intake stuff. Admittedly we did that because she takes my frequent passive suicidal ideation way more seriously than I do, so we spent half an hour on putting together a 'safety plan' that I can consult if it gets worse than 'passive'. Pleasant/distracting experiences, people I can talk to, that kind of thing.

Successfully had an actual medical appointment as well, at which I forgot to talk about a number of relevant things (CPAP usage, an occasional tremor that Steph has noticed but I haven't) because I was hyperfocused on Meds. Got a psych appointment in a week and a half. The antidepressant will hold out til then; the ADHDrug will continue to be rationed. I've also put in a request for my records to be transferred fron Canada. Unclear if that has gone anywhere; my clinic in CA said they'd contact me and ask for money when they got a request, and they haven't yet, but it's only been a couple of days. I would really like to have my ADHDiagnosis on record before I go talk to a potentially skeptical psych. I suppose I can bring in my paper records from childhood.

No one has tried to charge me for anything medical yet. Per the no news/good news identity theorem, I guess the Medicaid is working.



Fiddle is going ... well and poorly. Poorly: there's two, formerly three, regular sessions I attend. At the main two I usually know somewhere between three and ten of the tunes they play; in a two-hour block, that's around five percent. The third session, the one I've recently dropped, is a 'learner's' session: there's sheet music, there's a list of tunes that gets sent out a few days before. In theory this would help me learn tunes that are in common rotation around here. In practice I get overwhelmed by the number each week and frustrated that it changes weekly and there's rarely any continuity. And I'm not really learning much in the way of technique or anything, and I'm not being af any benefit to anyone else there either. So I've dropped that session and will instead go back to 'pick a couple of tunes every week and try to learn them.'

Not knowing tunes was a problem in Van as well but less of one. Hopefully switching my learning mode back to one that works will make it less of a problem here too, eventually.

Well: people like having the lower register. I get appreciative comments for the tunes I can play, which is nice. I am maybe getting "better," whatever that means. I'm enjoying playing with other folks, and practicing. I'm occasionally even talking to people. It's been a Good Thing.

The organiser for one session wrangled us a spot at the farmers' market this coming weekend. I volunteered to lead a couple of sets that were two tunes I knew and one I didn't, so I've been madly cramming new tunes in the hope I'll know them well enough.

I'm also starting up actual lessons again on Monday. Very curious as to how that will go. I'd like to think I'll appreciate getting actual pointers & drills to improve my technique, but I guess we'll see.



I did in fact get called up to be an election judge, so that's my first-tuesday-in-november sorted. Other than that employment continues to elude. Eh.

Date: 2026-10-08 12:23 pm (UTC)
reedrover: (Default)
From: [personal profile] reedrover
This seems like progress. And yay for music!

Profile

jazzfish: Jazz Fish: beret, sunglasses, saxophone (Default)
Tucker McKinnon

Most Popular Tags

Adventures in Mamboland

"Jazz Fish, a saxophone playing wanderer, finds himself in Mamboland at a critical phase in his life." --Howie Green, on his book Jazz Fish Zen

Yeah. That sounds about right.

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags